Do you want to do work that matters? Do you want to help improve the lives of some of the most hardworking people in Africa, while also reducing carbon emissions? Do you want to use your skills to advance Africa and the Global South towards a zero-carbon future, not just to make a living? Ampersand is your answer.
Ampersand is Africa’s emobility pioneer. Ampersand provides electric motorcycles and charging infrastructure (battery swap stations), uniquely tailored to serve half of Africa’s road fleet: Commercial motorcycle taxi and delivery drivers. Moto taxis are a primary means of public transport in African cities, and it is estimated that these drivers spend >$6Bn p.a. on gasoline in East Africa alone. Ampersand has developed an electric solution that is more powerful, fun to drive, and more cost-effective than the incumbent. Ampersand drivers routinely earn over 30% more income by going electric.
The company started in Kigali, Rwanda and expanded into Nairobi, Kenya in 2022. Today it has over 2,000 e-motorcycles on the road and 36 battery swap stations across the two countries. Ampersand is leading the market in quality and affordable tech, customer traction, and operational systems. The Ampersand team consists of 300+ staff drawn from diverse backgrounds and is working hard to see all 5 million taxi motorbikes in East Africa become electric by 2030. Ampersand is rapidly scaling its operations and is looking for innovative professionals who are passionate about clean energy and environmental impact to lead and contribute to our rapid growth.
Ampersand is a company that values innovation, creativity, and continuous improvement. It seeks people who are proactive problem solvers to drive results. Ampersand promotes leadership within the organization and is a place where you can grow your career as you work with some of the brightest and hard-working individuals in East Africa.
Customer-centric Everyday: We prioritize our customers daily, tailoring solutions to exceed expectations.
Challenge The Status Quo Through Innovation: Our dedicated teams constantly challenge the status quo, driving innovation to enhance customer experiences and deliver solutions that go beyond expectations
Love Solving Problems Together: Internal collaboration is our approach; we thrive on solving challenges alongside our customers.
Stay Agile: We stay agile to swiftly meet dynamic customer needs and adapt to a changing landscape.
Driven By People And Planet: Beyond business, we're committed to people and the planet, ensuring a positive impact.
About the role
We require someone with a broad understanding of electromechanical systems that can assist with all aspects of the vehicle drivetrain R&D including but not limited to working with high power inverters, PMSM motors as well as low-voltage battery systems. We work hands-on and require our employees to have rapid prototyping skills. Ideally you have read the Art of Electronics end to end. You will report to the Head of Electrical systems and also lead a team of younger electrical engineers when needed.
- Solid/demonstrable understanding of power electronics, DC/DCs, battery systems, inverters.
- Solid/demonstrable experience in PCB design from schematic capture to layout
- Proven experience in writing firmware for embedded microcontrollers (C/C++) with knowledge of RTOS and automotive best coding practices.
- Some experience in manufacturing of PCBA for both prototyping and high volume.
- Battery systems and electric powertrain knowledge and experience.
- Strong leadership skills with experience managing a team of engineers and technicians.
A strong work ethic, and the ability to manage shifting priorities and unforeseen challenges.
- You are a doer; you move quickly and iterate, able to prioritize to get things done.
- You’re a mission-driven team player and fantastic communicator
- Out-of-the-box thinker, able to boil down complex problems into simple designs.
- Minimum 5 years of prior industry experience in working with automotive or power systems
- Experience taking products from design to manufacturing (DFM)
- Solid understanding of battery packs and battery cells, through experience working with them
- Solid understanding of automotive communication networks such as CANBus, UDS, etc.
- Good C/C++ programming skills
- Good CAD/CAM/FEA skills Altium is a plus.
- Fluency with Matlab and Excel simulink
- Degree in Electrical Engineering or equivalent
A competitive compensation package commensurate with local market rates and experience including health insurance.
This role will be based in Kigali, Rwanda