Do you want to do work that matters? Do you want to help improve the lives of some of the most hardworking people in Africa, while also reducing carbon emissions? Do you want to use your skills to advance Africa and the Global South towards a zero-carbon future, not just to make a living? Ampersand is your answer.
Ampersand is Africa’s emobility pioneer. Ampersand provides electric motorcycles and charging infrastructure (battery swap stations), uniquely tailored to serve half of Africa’s road fleet: Commercial motorcycle taxi and delivery drivers. Moto taxis are a primary means of public transport in African cities, and it is estimated that these drivers spend >$6Bn p.a. on gasoline in East Africa alone. Ampersand has developed an electric solution that is more powerful, fun to drive, and more cost-effective than the incumbent. Ampersand drivers routinely earn over 30% more income by going electric.
The company started in Kigali, Rwanda and expanded into Nairobi, Kenya in 2022. Today it has over 2,000 e-motorcycles on the road and 36 battery swap stations across the two countries. Ampersand is leading the market in quality and affordable tech, customer traction, and operational systems. The Ampersand team consists of 300+ staff drawn from diverse backgrounds and is working hard to see all 5 million taxi motorbikes in East Africa become electric by 2030. Ampersand is rapidly scaling its operations and is looking for innovative professionals who are passionate about clean energy and environmental impact to lead and contribute to our rapid growth.
Ampersand is a company that values innovation, creativity, and continuous improvement. It seeks people who are proactive problem solvers to drive results. Ampersand promotes leadership within the organization and is a place where you can grow your career as you work with some of the brightest and hard-working individuals in East Africa.
Customer-centric Everyday: We prioritize our customers daily, tailoring solutions to exceed expectations.
Challenge The Status Quo Through Innovation: Our dedicated teams constantly challenge the status quo, driving innovation to enhance customer experiences and deliver solutions that go beyond expectations
Love Solving Problems Together: Internal collaboration is our approach; we thrive on solving challenges alongside our customers.
Stay Agile: We stay agile to swiftly meet dynamic customer needs and adapt to a changing landscape.
Driven By People And Planet: Beyond business, we're committed to people and the planet, ensuring a positive impact.
About the role
Ampersand Rwanda Ltd is growing very fast and needs someone who will provide fast and useful technical assistance to the IT department. S/he will answer queries on technical issues and offer advice to solve them.
An excellent IT Officer must have excellent technical knowledge and be able to communicate effectively from understanding the problem to explaining and implementing its solution.
An IT Officer will hold the following responsibilities:
Maintain and develop the ICT infrastructure to ensure best value and functionality;
- Provide advanced IT technical support to end-users;
- Develop, review and enforce ICT policies companywide;
- Train staff on company policies, procedures and IT resources;
- Maintain optimal network health for end users;
- Provide IT expertise during procurement of ICT hardware and software and ensure their compliance with company policies;
- Tests and debugs programs;
- Create and regularly update IT documentation;
- Maintain IT security through IAAA framework;
- Carry out timely and effective IT onboarding and offboarding for staff;
- Record, analyse and learn from IT support requests data for service optimization;
- Monitor systems to identify malfunctioning in a timely manner;
- Submit timely and accurate reports on major hardware and software issues;
- Maintain and keep the IT Asset Management System (ITAMS) database updated;
- Work closely with IT contractors, consultants and supervisory authorities;
- Meet regularly with the IT manager to discuss company IT needs;
- Produces moderately complex reports.
Develop and maintain knowledge, expertise, and professionalism;
- Keep abreast of current developments in the company and IT industry;
- Remain current with the company’s technological requirements and new developments in the IT industry;
- Meet personal training and development needs through relevant professional training and networking;
- Capable of performing outside business hours if required.
- A degree in Information Technology, Computer Science, or a related field;
- Industry standard certifications are an added advantage;
- Proven experience in end-user support;
- Good knowledge of computer networking and system security.
- Hands-on experience with one or more of the following:
- LAN, VPN, VOIP, HTTP, DNS, DHCP;
- System and network auditing tools and techniques;
- Network monitoring and troubleshooting tools;
- Documentation and procedural installation.
- Excellent problem solver
- Enjoy helping people
- Great attention to detail
A compensation package commensurate with Rwandan market rates and experience.
This role will be based in Kigali, Rwanda.