Do you want to do work that matters? Do you want to help improve the lives of some of the most hardworking people in Africa, while also reducing carbon emissions? Do you want to use your skills to advance Africa towards a zero-carbon future, not just to make a living? Ampersand is your answer.
Ampersand has grown from a tiny, bootstrapped R&D garage project in 2018 into East Africa's leading electric vehicle operation, with a team of over 200 staff drawn from diverse backgrounds and we plan to see all 5 million taxi motorbikes in East Africa electric by 2030. We are rapidly scaling our operations, currently, we are expanding our fleet to Kenya and expanding our engineering capabilities to Europe, in Berlin, Germany. We are looking for innovative professionals who are passionate about clean energy and environmental impact to lead and contribute to our rapid growth.
About the role
Ampersand manages a fleet of batteries that our moto drivers change at one of our many Swap Stations. These batteries are used by more than 700 vehicles across multiple countries, which make close to 3 million km every month and swapped thousands of times a day. We are on our way to releasing more than 2000 batteries and vehicles in the next year.
Our engineering teams design, prototype, implement, and maintain hardware and software products of Ampersand. On the hardware side, we have our battery packs & motorbikes, displays and other hardware components. We also have the battery swap systems in swap stations and all components that go with it.
We are searching for a person to manage Ampersand’s hardware products and work closely with users and other stakeholders on our way to scaling further. This would be a role in the Engineering Team. Your objectives will include the following:
- Help to shape Ampersand’s hardware products through data-driven decision-making.
- Define what success looks like for Ampersand’s hardware products, define a roadmap and manage product delivery toward this goal.
- Understand business objectives, break down complex problems, and write clear specifications to manage and prioritize a hardware product backlog.
- Understand and work within supply chain limitations.
- Understand customer and user needs and balance business objectives and those needs
Ensure synergy between hardware and software by communicating and influencing decisions with other engineering teams
Promote a culture of learning, feedback, and continuous improvement in Product
- Development and modern practices
Mentor team members on understanding and communicating design decisions
Ampersand is a good fit if:
- You love to see your impact on the product as quick as possible
- You love complicated systems where optimization is key
- You like working in a fast-moving agile environment
- You are motivated by personal growth and seeing your teammates grow and develop
- You are looking for an entrepreneurial company that values innovation and strong execution
- You value diversity and community in the workplace
Across all our roles, we look for professionals with strong work ethics, and the ability to manage shifting priorities and unforeseen challenges. For this role specifically, you will have:
- 5+ of Product Management experience focusing on hardware, including taking the role of Product Owner.
- Demonstrated knowledge of managing a hardware product portfolio in an agile environment following agile practices
- Degree in (not limited to) Computer Science/Engineering, Electronics, Mechanical
- Engineering, Product Design, UX Design/Research, but experience is also highly valued
- Experience in running workshops with business stakeholders and facilitating collaboration within interdisciplinary teams.
- Understanding of technical concepts, tools, and platforms in software development
- Ability to appreciate a great user experience, experience in UX design
- A strong work ethic, and the ability to manage shifting priorities and unforeseen challenges
- Strong communication skills with a supportive and nurturing disposition
- (Bonus) Experience in a start-up environment
- Fluency in English
A competitive compensation package commensurate with local market rates and experience including health insurance.
This role will be based in Kigali, Rwanda