Do you want to do work that matters? Do you want to help improve the lives of some of the most hardworking people in Africa, while also reducing carbon emissions? Do you want to use your skills to advance Africa towards a zero-carbon future, not just to make a living? Ampersand is your answer.
Headquartered in Rwanda, Ampersand is achieving the world’s first true mass-market shift to electric vehicles, a vital tipping point in the fight against climate change, through providing electric motorcycles to moto taxis drivers in East Africa. Our electric motorcycles offer savings that can double a driver’s income, in addition to reducing carbon emissions by more than 75%. Converting just one petrol motorbike to electric is the equivalent of the carbon captured by 128 trees.
Since starting out in 2018, we plan to grow to serve tens of thousands of customers across East Africa in 5 years. The team has grown from a tiny, bootstrapped R&D garage project into East Africa's leading electric vehicle operation, with a team of over 150 staff drawn from diverse backgrounds. We are rapidly scaling our operations, and we are looking for innovative professionals who are passionate about clean energy and environmental impact to lead and contribute to our rapid growth.
About the role
Ampersand is seeking a self-motivated, detail-oriented and highly organized self-starter with a proven track record in Supply Chain and Logistics. We seek a professional who can enhance growth and productivity within supply chain and logistics through improvements in processes, efficiencies, inventory management and logistics flow. This is because we currently manufacture batteries and assemble bikes in Rwanda but we are looking to expand assembly of bikes to Kenya and potentially other expansion markets. A grasp of market and supply chain trends, supplier selection and management, suppliers’ contracts and warranty as well as a compelling vision of where to take supply chain in an effective manner will be a clear advantage. An ability to collaborate with and influence diverse stakeholders effectively is expected.
- Create and implement functional supply chain strategic plans and implement appropriate programs to address evolving business needs in collaboration with Production and Manufacturing, R & D and Finance
- Create structure, accountability, responsibility and focus in the supply chain department so as to ensure complete and smooth transitions with no delays, lost and/or wrong products that can prevent the customer from receiving their orders
- Promote and develop tight integration between planning, logistics and other operation areas so as to ensure inventory moves efficiently and cost-effectively
- Guide Information System Strategies for development for supply chain operations, including warehouse systems, ERPs and forecasting
- Ensure warehouses are sized, designed and staffed correctly in line with requirements for volume, handling, storage and shipping as necessary
- Oversee the entire shipment process from acquisition to delivery to ensure appropriate process controls and documentation are in place with all suppliers
- Correspond with suppliers, warehouses, transporters and relevant authorities so as to deliver efficiently
- Manage supplier contract negotiations
- Champion and oversee Supply Chain excellence and improvement projects
- Ensure quality of manufactured goods and follow up on warranty claims
Ampersand is a good fit if:
- You are passionate about fighting climate change & promoting sustainable development
- You are a proactive problem solver
- You are excited to work in a fast-growing and dynamic organization
- You are adaptable and thrive in rapidly evolving environments
- You value diversity and community in the workplace
- At least 10 years of relevant work experience within supply chain and logistics internationally
- Relevant educational and professional qualifications in support of the application are required
- Prior experience working with supply chain and logistics in China and India
- Prior experience in the mobility sector is a big bonus
- ERP system experience is required
- Experience working with production systems and manufacturing
- A proven track record of success in supply chain and logistics management
- Excellent interpersonal skills and an ability to work independently and in teams
- Strong verbal and written communication skills and attention to detail
- Experience working in Africa with cross-cultural teams is preferred
- Ability to communicate in written and spoken English
A competitive compensation with international market salary, health insurance and relocation support for self and family.
This role will be based in Kigali, Rwanda or Nairobi, Kenya with the ability to travel between the two. The role will require frequent visits to China and other international destinations related to suppliers.