Do you want to do work that matters? Do you want to help improve the lives of some of the most hardworking people in Africa, while also reducing carbon emissions? Do you want to use your skills to advance Africa towards a zero-carbon future, not just to make a living? Ampersand is your answer.
Ampersand has grown from a tiny, bootstrapped R&D garage project in 2018 into East Africa's leading electric vehicle operation, with a team of over 170 staff drawn from diverse backgrounds and we plan to see all 5 million taxi motorbikes in East Africa electric by 2030. We are rapidly scaling our operations, and we are looking for innovative professionals who are passionate about clean energy and environmental impact to lead and contribute to our rapid growth.
About the role
The CEO will be focused on an increasingly diverse set of priorities, from communicating with external partners, to marshaling resources for Ampersand projects. This dynamic position requires a candidate with the ability to work very closely with the CEO on these priorities and help execute Ampersand’s overall strategy. The successful candidate will have the ability to anticipate needs, think critically and offer solutions to problems with a high level of professionalism and confidentiality.
- Support the CEO in implementing the overall strategy of the company and in day-to-day operations
- Proactively identify opportunities to add value to the CEO and company
- Conducts research on various topics and manages various projects
- Drive execution of action items and top priorities agreed upon by the CEO and the Leadership team
- Drive operational and planning processes to completion in partnership with the Leadership team and the broader organization
- Create structure and focus for broad, ambiguous ideas that the Leadership team is exploring and bring forth recommendations for action in a timely manner
- Support the productivity of leadership meetings by owning the planning, agenda, and notes
- Communicates directly and on behalf of the CEO with Board members, donors and others as directed.
- Assists the CEO with daily administrative duties and completes a broad variety of administrative tasks that include managing an active calendar of appointments; completing expense reports; composing and preparing correspondence; arranging complex and detailed travel plans, itineraries and agendas and compiling documents for meetings.
- Writing Reports, letters, documents and papers for the CEO
- Communication: A Chief of Staff regularly works with team members of all levels, so strongly developed written and verbal communication skills are crucial.
- Leadership: The Chief of Staff will act as a leader, planning meetings and determining the needs of the business. They must have the ability to lead in an effective and trustworthy way
- Project management experience is required
- Time management: The Chief of Staff will not only be responsible for improving the efficiency of the business but managing the time of the CEO. They must use skills in organization and planning to prioritize tasks, set meetings and diffuse work conflict without bringing it to the attention of the CEO.
- Problem-solving: Whether it is conflict within the workplace or a problem with a vendor, customer or partner, it is the role of the Chief of Staff to take the necessary steps to overcome problems their organization faces.
- Ability to complete a high volume of tasks and projects with little or no guidance and/or supervision
- Expert proficiency with Microsoft Office and desktop publishing software; ability to design and edit presentations and materials
- Ability to react with appropriate levels of urgency to situations and events that require quick response or turnaround
- Ability to maintain a high level of integrity and discretion in handling sensitive and confidential information
A competitive compensation package commensurate with experience including health insurance.
This role will be based in Kigali, Rwanda