Do you want to do work that matters? Do you want to help improve the lives of some of the most hardworking people in Africa, while also reducing carbon emissions? Do you want to use your skills to advance Africa towards a zero-carbon future, not just to make a living? Ampersand is your answer.
Ampersand has grown from a tiny, bootstrapped R&D garage project in 2018 into East Africa's leading electric vehicle operation, with a team of over 120 staff drawn from diverse backgrounds and we plan to see all 5 million taxi motorbikes in East Africa electric by 2030. We are rapidly scaling our operations, and we are looking for innovative professionals who are passionate about clean energy and environmental impact to lead and contribute to our rapid growth. Currently, we have three offices in different cities, Kigali, Nairobi and Berlin.
About the role
As part of this mission, Ampersand requires high-tech equipment and complex financing in order to leap-frog the old transport system. Ampersand manufactures electric 2-wheelers, lithium battery packs and charge/swap stations in Kigali. We require someone with a broad understanding of electro mechanical systems that can assist with all aspects of the vehicle drive train R&D including but not limited to working with high power inverters and DC motors as well as low-voltage battery systems. We work hands-on and require our employees to have rapid prototyping skills.
- Solid/demonstrable understanding of power electronics
- Solid/demonstrable understanding of battery systems and BMS systems.
- Solid/demonstrable understanding of PCB design and prototyping
Bachelor degree in Electrical Engineering or equivalent
- Some CAD/CAM/FEA skills (Altium knowledge preferred)
- Draw and understand electronic schematics
- Understanding of low level communication protocols (CANBus, I2C, UART)
- Experience in troubleshooting and a good theoretical knowledge base to draw from.
- Power Electronics, Control System classes [Grad level]
- A strong work ethic, and the ability to manage shifting priorities and unforeseen challenges
- Out of the box thinker, able to boil down complex problems into simple designs
- Fantastic communicator
- Good comprehension of Matlab and Excel
- Programming skills and real time systems knowledge is a huge plus
A competitive compensation package commensurate with local market rates.
This role will be based in Berlin, Germany or Kigali, Rwanda