Do you want to do work that is impactful? Do you want to help improve the lives of some of the most hardworking people in Africa, while also reducing carbon emissions? Do you want to use your skills to advance Africa towards a zero-carbon future, not just to make a living? Ampersand is your answer.
Headquartered in Kigali in Rwanda, Ampersand is achieving the world’s first true mass-market shift to electric vehicles, a vital tipping point in the fight against climate change, through providing electric motorcycles to moto taxis drivers in East Africa. Our electric motorcycles offer savings that can double a driver’s income, in addition to reducing carbon emissions by more than 75%. Converting just one petrol motorbike to electric is the equivalent of the carbon captured by 128 trees.
We have successfully piloted an electric motorcycle and battery swap network in Kigali, with motorcycles in daily operation for two years and nearly 2 million km traveled. We have successfully raised $4M in venture capital. We are and are ready to further develop and scale up our tech and scale our operations. This is where you come in. The team has grown from a tiny, bootstrapped R&D garage project into East Africa's leading electric vehicle operation, with a team of 59 staff drawn from diverse backgrounds. We are rapidly scaling our operations, and we are looking for innovative professionals who are passionate about clean energy and environmental impact to lead and contribute to our rapid growth.
About the role
Ampersand is looking for an assembly expert with focus on leading and improving the battery assembly technician team.
The Battery Assembly Lead Technician is a key role in the Production Department of Ampersand. This role requires a person with good organization and management skills (25%) with an excellent technical skills set (75%).
The overall goal of this position is to ensure smooth operations and achieve company targets within the battery assembly area. The key performance indicators are assembled batteries/day and quality issues per assembled battery.
You will report directly to the Battery Assembly & Maintenance Manager and manage a team of 15 battery assembly technicians.
In this role, you will hold the following responsibilities:
- Provide leadership to battery assembly technicians
- Follow Ampersand SOPs and standards and suggest improvements
- Participate, monitor, document and report battery assembly progress
- Tool & Inventory Management for battery assembly area
- Support Battery Assembly & Maintenance Manager with production planning of battery assembly
- Support with technician training
We are looking for experienced candidates who possess the following skill set:
- Diploma with electrical background
- 2+ years of relevant work experience
- Lead a large team of 10+ technicians is desirable
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication in English and Kinyarwanda
- Experience in cross cultural teams is preferred
A competitive compensation package commensurate with local market rates and experience including health insurance.
This role will be based in Kigali, Rwanda
Deadline for applications is 12th October 2021