Do you want to do work that is impactful? Do you want to help improve the lives of some of the most hardworking people in Africa, while also reducing carbon emissions? Do you want to use your skills to advance Africa towards a zero-carbon future, not just to make a living? Ampersand is your answer.
Headquartered in Kigali in Rwanda, Ampersand is achieving the world’s first true mass-market shift to electric vehicles, a vital tipping point in the fight against climate change, through providing electric motorcycles to moto taxis drivers in East Africa. Our electric motorcycles offer savings that can double a driver’s income, in addition to reducing carbon emissions by more than 75%. Converting just one petrol motorbike to electric is the equivalent of the carbon captured by 128 trees.
We have successfully piloted an electric motorcycle and battery swap network in Kigali, with motorcycles in daily operation for two years and nearly 2 million km traveled. We have successfully raised $4M in venture capital. We are and are ready to further develop and scale up our tech and scale our operations. This is where you come in. The team has grown from a tiny, bootstrapped R&D garage project into East Africa's leading electric vehicle operation, with a team of 59 staff drawn from diverse backgrounds. We are rapidly scaling our operations, and we are looking for innovative professionals who are passionate about clean energy and environmental impact to lead and contribute to our rapid growth.
About the role
Ampersand is looking for a production expert with focus on leading and improving the battery assembly and battery maintenance section.
The Battery Assembly & Maintenance Manager is a key role of the mid-management of the Production Department of Ampersand. This role requires a person with excellent organization and management skills (75%) with a good technical skills set (25%).
The overall goal of this position is to ensure smooth operations and achieve company targets. The key performance indicators are assembled batteries/day, quality issues per assembled battery and repaired battery/day.
You will report directly to the Senior Production Manager and manage a team of two Lead Technicians (LT), who will lead a team of up to 25 technicians in total. One LT for battery assembly and another LT for battery maintenance.
In this role, you will hold the following responsibilities:
- Provide leadership to battery assembly & maintenance team
- Monitor, document and report battery production and maintenance progress
- Create and improve SOPs
- Implement and improve a quality control system
- Tool & Inventory Management for respective work areas
- Identify and suggest cost savings and battery design changes to senior management
- Oversee Health & Safety standards within the battery assembly and maintenance area
- Production planning of battery assembly
- Train technicians
We are looking for experienced candidates who possess the following skill set:
- Bachelor Degree in electrical engineering or production management
- 3 to 5 years of relevant work experience, e.g. assembly, maintenance or production management
- Lead a large team of 10+ technicians is desirable
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including verbal and written communication in English and Kinyarwanda
- Experience in cross cultural teams is preferred
A competitive compensation package commensurate with local market rates and experience including health insurance.
This role will be based in Kigali, Rwanda
Deadline for applications is 12th October 2021