Do you want to do work that is impactful? Do you want to help improve the lives of some of the most hardworking people in Africa, while also reducing carbon emissions? Do you want to use your skills to advance Africa towards a zero-carbon future, not just to make a living? Ampersand is your answer.
Headquartered in Kigali in Rwanda, Ampersand is achieving the world’s first true mass-market shift to electric vehicles, a vital tipping point in the fight against climate change, through providing electric motorcycles to moto taxis drivers in East Africa. Our electric motorcycles offer savings that can double a driver’s income, in addition to reducing carbon emissions by more than 75%. Converting just one petrol motorbike to electric is the equivalent of the carbon captured by 128 trees.
We have successfully piloted an electric motorcycle and battery swap network in Kigali, with motorcycles in daily operation for two years and nearly 2 million km traveled. We have successfully raised $4M in venture capital. We are and are ready to further develop and scale up our tech and scale our operations. This is where you come in. The team has grown from a tiny, bootstrapped R&D garage project into East Africa's leading electric vehicle operation, with a team of 59 staff drawn from diverse backgrounds. We are rapidly scaling our operations, and we are looking for innovative professionals who are passionate about clean energy and environmental impact to lead and contribute to our rapid growth.
About the role
Ampersand is seeking a values-driven and practiced engineer with a track record of efficiently utilizing resources and driving results. The role of the Senior Mechanical Engineer will work closely with the CTO, leading project teams to ensure we are building solutions for scale and reliability while maximizing the value proposition to customers. In this role, you will hold the following responsibilities:
Product design and engineering analysis:
- Championing customer needs and translating them to technical requirements
- Optimizing designs and processes for low-cost and durability
- Applying the product design process of rapid prototyping, testing, and refining
- Applying a solid understanding of mechanical systems, preferably experience with vehicles and/or batteries and power systems
- Testing and analysis with tools such as MATLAB and Excel
- Building CAD models and technical drawings, and applying FEA
- DfM with a strong understanding of capacities and constraints in varied environments
- Optimizing local and overseas supply chains, managing suppliers with regular visits locally and in
- Designing and building in-house production processes and tools
- Performing engineering and production validation tests
- Ongoing follow-up of product performance after launch
- Collaborate with CTO and other senior engineers
- Train and develop junior engineers in project teams
- Own project outcomes with regular design reviews
- Minimum 5 years of prior industry experience in a relevant role
- Degree in mechanical engineering, systems engineering, or equivalent
- Experience with design for manufacturing seeing products through to production
- Strong CAD/CAM/FEA skills, and analysis using MATLAB/Excel
- Experience with vehicles, batteries, BMS’s, controllers, or BLDC motors preferred
- Experience effectively leading technical teams
- Fantastic communication
A competitive compensation package commensurate with international market rates and experience including health insurance, an annual flight allowance, and relocation support.
This role will be based either in Kigali, Rwanda; or in Amsterdam or Berlin (together with our new Europe R&D team) with regular travel to Kigali.