Do you want to do work that is impactful? Do you want to help improve the lives of some of the most hardworking people in Africa, while also reducing carbon emissions? Do you want to use your skills to advance Africa towards a zero-carbon future, not just to make a living? Ampersand is your answer.
Headquartered in Kigali in Rwanda, Ampersand is achieving the world’s first true mass-market shift to electric vehicles, a vital tipping point in the fight against climate change, through providing electric motorcycles to moto taxis drivers in East Africa. Our electric motorcycles offer savings that can double a driver’s income, in addition to reducing carbon emissions by more than 75%. Converting just one petrol motorbike to electric is the equivalent of the carbon captured by 128 trees.
We have successfully piloted an electric motorcycle and battery swap network in Kigali, with motorcycles in daily operation for two years and nearly 2 million km traveled. We have successfully raised $4M in venture capital. We are and are ready to further develop and scale up our tech and scale our operations. This is where you come in. The team has grown from a tiny, bootstrapped R&D garage project into East Africa's leading electric vehicle operation, with a team of 59 staff drawn from diverse backgrounds. We are rapidly scaling our operations, and we are looking for innovative professionals who are passionate about clean energy and environmental impact to lead and contribute to our rapid growth.
About the role
As part of this mission, Ampersand requires high-tech equipment and complex financing in order to leap-frog the old transport system. Ampersand manufactures electric 2-wheelers, lithium battery packs and charge/swap stations in Kigali.
We require someone with broad understanding of electromechanical systems that can assist with all aspects of the vehicle drive train R&D including but not limited to working with high power inverters and dc motors as well as low-voltage battery systems. We work hands require our employees to have rapid prototyping skills. Ideally have read the Art of Electronics end to end. You will also lead a team of younger electrical engineers.
- Solid/demonstrable understanding of power electronics
- Solid/ demonstrable understanding of battery systems stationery and mobility and BMS
- Solid/ demonstrable understanding of PCB design and prototyping, with CAD
- Thermal analysis of PCB’s
A strong work ethic, and the ability to manage shifting priorities and unforeseen challenges.
- Minimum 5 years of prior industry experience in working with automotive or power systems roles.
- 3 years managing a team of engineers.
- Degree in Electrical Engineering
- Out of the box thinker, able to boil down complex problems into simple designs.
- Fantastic communicator
- Solid understanding of low-level communication networks such as CANBus, MODBus, i2c, etc.
- Strong CAD/CAM/FEA skills
- Good comprehension of Matlab and Excel
- Able to go from design to manufacturing (DFM)
- You are a doer; you move quick and iterate now how to prioritize and get things done.
A competitive compensation package commensurate with international market rates and experience including health insurance, an annual flight allowance and relocation support.
This role will be based either in Kigali, Rwanda; or in Amsterdam or Berlin (together with our new Europe R&D team) with regular travel to Kigali.