Do you want to do work that matters? Do you want to help improve the lives of some of the most hardworking people in Africa, while also reducing carbon emissions? Do you want to use your skills to advance Africa towards a zero-carbon future, not just to make a living? Ampersand is your answer.
Ampersand has grown from a tiny, bootstrapped R&D garage project in 2018 into East Africa's leading electric vehicle operation, with a team of over 120 staff drawn from diverse backgrounds and we plan to see all 5 million taxi motorbikes in East Africa electric by 2030. We are rapidly scaling our operations, and we are looking for innovative professionals who are passionate about clean energy and environmental impact to lead and contribute to our rapid growth.
About the role
As part of this mission, Ampersand requires high-tech equipment and complex financing in order to leap-frog the old transport system. Ampersand manufactures electric 2-wheelers, lithium battery packs and charge/swap stations in Kigali.
We require someone with a broad understanding of electromechanical systems that can assist with all aspects of the vehicle drive train R&D including but not limited to working with high power inverters, PMSM motors as well as low-voltage battery systems. We work hands and require our employees to have rapid prototyping skills. Ideally have read the Art of Electronics end to end. You will report to the Head of Electrical systems and also lead a team of younger electrical engineers when needed.
- Solid/demonstrable understanding of power electronics, DC/DCs, battery systems, inverters.
- Solid/demonstrable experience in PCB design from schematic capture to layout
- Proven experience in writing firmwares for embedded microcontrollers (C/C++) with knowledge of RTOS and automotive best coding practices.
- Some experience in manufacturing of PCBA for both prototyping and high volume.
A strong work ethic, and the ability to manage shifting priorities and unforeseen challenges.
- Minimum 5 years of prior industry experience in working with automotive or power systems roles.
- Degree in Electrical Engineering
- Out of the box thinker, able to boil down complex problems into simple designs.
- Fantastic communicator
- Solid understanding of automotive communication networks such as CANBus, UDS, etc.
- Good C/C++ programming skills
- Good CAD/CAM/FEA skills
- Good comprehension of Matlab and Excel
- Able to go from design to manufacturing (DFM)
- You are a doer; you move quickly and iterate now on how to prioritize and get things done.
A competitive compensation package commensurate with international market rates and experience including health insurance, an annual flight allowance and relocation support.
This role will be based either in Kigali, Rwanda; or in Amsterdam or Berlin (together with our new Europe R&D team) with regular travel to Kigali.