Do you want to do work that is impactful? Do you want to help improve the lives of some of the most hardworking people in Africa, while also reducing carbon emissions? Do you want to use your skills to advance Africa towards a zero-carbon future, not just to make a living? Ampersand is your answer.
Headquartered in Kigali in Rwanda, Ampersand is achieving the world’s first true mass-market shift to electric vehicles, a vital tipping point in the fight against climate change, through providing electric motorcycles to moto taxis drivers in East Africa. Our electric motorcycles offer savings that can double a driver’s income, in addition to reducing carbon emissions by more than 75%. Converting just one petrol motorbike to electric is the equivalent of the carbon captured by 128 trees.
We have successfully piloted an electric motorcycle and battery swap network in Kigali, with motorcycles in daily operation for two years and nearly 2 million km traveled. We have successfully raised $4M in venture capital. We are and are ready to further develop and scale up our tech and scale our operations. This is where you come in. The team has grown from a tiny, bootstrapped R&D garage project into East Africa's leading electric vehicle operation, with a team of 59 staff drawn from diverse backgrounds. We are rapidly scaling our operations, and we are looking for innovative professionals who are passionate about clean energy and environmental impact to lead and contribute to our rapid growth.
About the role
Ampersand is seeking a values-driven and practiced engineer with a track record of efficiently utilizing resources and driving results. The role of the Senior Systems Engineer will work closely with the CTO and other senior engineers, leading project teams to ensure we are building solutions for scale and reliability while maximizing the value proposition to customers. In this role, you will hold the following responsibilities:
- Design and develop integration solutions for vehicles, batteries, and charge infrastructure across generations
- Collaborate with mechanical and electrical engineers on design and development of future products
- Apply the product design process of rapid prototyping, testing, and refining
- Test and analyze prototypes with tools such as MATLAB and Excel
- Holistic troubleshooting of product issues from a systems-lens
- Applying a solid understanding of mechanical and/or electrical power systems, preferably experience with vehicles and/or batteries and power systems
- Review technical drawings
- Collaborate with senior leadership to plan and vision product road maps
- Keep abreast of market and industry trends
- Help team assess optimal allocation of R&D resources
- Translate big-picture visions into detailed plans and help drive big-picture goals on the ground
- Collaborate with CTO and other senior engineers
- Train and develop junior engineers in project teams
Candidates who possess the following are encouraged to apply:
- Minimum 5yr of prior industry experience, with 2+ years’ experience in a systems engineering role
- Degree in mechanical engineering, systems engineering, or equivalent
- Ability to connect the big picture to the details and communicate this clearly
- Understanding of manufacturing and global supply chains with some experience in product development
- Good CAD/CAM/FEA skills
- Experience effectively leading technical teams
- Experience with BMS’s, batteries, controllers and BLDC motors preferred.
A competitive compensation package commensurate with international market rates and experience including health insurance, an annual flight allowance and relocation support.
This role will be based in Kigali, Rwanda; or in Amsterdam or Berlin (together with our new Europe R&D team) with regular travel to Kigali.